Welcome to my blog and thanks soso much for spending a little while peeping into my world

ARTS, BELLYDANCING, CRAFTS
BELLYDANCING, ARTS, CRAFTS
CRAFTS, BELLYDANCING, ARTS

whichever order I put them in, these are my passion!

... all from my little home studio in Durban, on the east coast of sunny South Africa!

"I used to think that anyone doing anything weird was weird. I suddenly realized that anyone doing anything weird wasn't weird at all and it was the people saying they were weird that were weird." -- Paul McCartney









Sunday, October 17, 2010

POPPIES for remembrance...



Today, as I was putting this card together, I received a telephone call to advise me that my mother-in-law had passed away in her sleep last night. So before I begin to tell you about the card, let me dedicate this card to her, Gerda Leeflang, may she rest in peace, while we celebrate the long and wonderful life she had.

I love you, Mom, thank you for all you did for me and for everything you taught me in the 23 years I had the honour of being a part of your life. I promise to love and look after your son and your grandsons forever.

Unfortunately, the poppy digi was one I saved early in my digi-journey and I did not make a note of who the designer is, but it is simple and elegant and just perfect for the Midnight Madness Sketch Callenge this week, as well as the "Black and White plus One" challenge on the Card Chat Challenge Corner on Simply Scrapping Crafts.

I coloured the digi in two colours of orange, (in the photograph the darker orange seems almost red - sorry I am not the best photographer) and then matted it in varying shades of orange and black, according to the specifications on both challenges.

Because the colours are so strong and striking I opted to go for the 'less is more' version of the MMSC sketch, as I think any embellishments would have been too fussy.

To join the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge and win some awesome prizes click here
to join the Card Chat Challenge Corner click here

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry about your loss. This is a beautiful card and a wonderful dedication to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What sad news, but you seem to have had a wonderful relationship. May the happy memories stay with you as you and the family get over this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JenLee - this is gorgeous. So loving and respectful towards your Mother in law!

    Thanks for joining Midnight Madness Challenge. Your support is highly valued, and we hope to see you playing with us again real soon ;o)

    Hugs
    Gunn
    MMSCDT

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely card, a beautiful tribute to your mom-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello JenLee - what a gorgeous tribute to your MIL - how blessed she was to have had you as her DIL! You and your family are in my prayers!
    I love your card - it is bold and beautiful! What a great take on the sketch - I am loving this!! We are glad you could join us for this weeks Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge and would love to see you again next week! {{{hugs}}}
    Linda MMSC Design Team

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry for your loss. Your card is a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, my deepest sympathies to you and yours. I think the card totally commemorates her. She looks like one spunky, classy lady, and your card is just that. Stunning colors too! Thank you so much for playing the Midnight Madness Sketch Challenge this week. Beautiful remembrance. Thank you for sharing and bearing your heart.

    Yours,
    Holly R. Moore
    MMDT ~ GD

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear that you have been here, so please leave a comment! I welcome all craft related comments and read every one of them!